Richard Hamilton is a staff writer for the Netflix series, Dragons: Race to the Edge, and the co-author of the How to Train Your Dragon graphic novels, The Serpent's Heir, Dragonvine, and The Fire Tides.
Richard Hamilton has always enjoyed writing and enjoyed comic books. He began with some self-published comic books, then moved into temp work to build his resume. This landed him at DreamWorks several times doing clerical work and answering phones. On a third temp assignment filling in for an assistant working on "How to Train Your Dragon" and learned about the Franchise. A fourth temp assignment became permanent as the assistant to the Chief Creative Officer. After several years he interviewed with Dean DeBlois for Script Coordinator on How to Train Your Dragon 2 and got the position. From then on Richard Hamilton has worked in the Dragon Franchise in multiple media including Dreamworks Press: Dragons, website write-ups, scripts for TV shows and graphic novels.
Selected Filmography and Bibliography
- Shrek: The Musical (2013) - Miscellaneous Crew
- Miserable Dastards (Comic)
- Return of the Super Pimps (Comics)
- SCOOP (Comics)
DreamWorks Dragons Works
|2013||School of Dragons||Dreamworks|
|2014||How to Train Your Dragon 2||Script Coordinator|
|Dreamworks Press: Dragons||Flight of the Returnwing||Writer|
|2015||Dragons: Race to the Edge
|"Total Nightmare"||Script Writer|
|To Berk and Beyond!||Author|
|2017||The Serpent's Heir|
|2019||Dreamworks Dragons: Dawn of New Riders||Writer|
|Dragons: Titan Uprising||Narrative|
|How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World||Franchise|
|TBA||The Fire Tides||Co-Author|
- Richard Hamilton has also worked as a producer and writer on DreamWorksTV.
- He was Dean DeBlois' writing assistant during the production of How to Train Your Dragon 2.
- DreamWorksTV Channel. YouTube
- Pro Knows: Richard Hamilton. (August 15, 2012). BuyIndieComicsOnline.
- Headlines and Dragonvines: A Conversation with Richard Hamilton. (Date Posted - October 2, 2018). Dragon Academy Dropouts on Tumblr.